Saturday, December 26, 2015

Why I fell in love with the studio- VIA thewellnessjess

From: thewellnessjess.com

When I first started practicing yoga, I was overweight, uncomfortable in my own skin, uncoordinated and completely out of shape. I had been reading about it for awhile and the whole thing seemed very foreign, but also extremely intriguing. I had taken a couple of yoga classes at the gyms in my area and I loved the concept, but I always felt so… unwelcome. Everybody around me was slim and seemed to know what they were doing, while I was a total beginner and felt completely ungraceful and gross. There were mirrors and fluorescent lights everywhere forcing me to see how awful I looked. I had extremely low self esteem and barely any self worth, it was almost intimidating for me to be around all of these powerful people. It also didn’t help that it SERIOUSLY broke my wallet. ($110 a month? How could anybody afford that?) But I knew that yoga brought this peace in my heart that I had never felt before, and that I needed to purse it.
My very first yoga class was at a hot yoga studio (totally not my thing) and it was labeled a “beginner” class. This woman who was clearly advanced, broke out into a headstand in the middle of the class while we were all in downward facing dog. The teacher started congratulating her and telling her how great her form looked. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for positive reinforcement, but though she was giving her the positive energy- I was over in my flimsy downward dog, and it made me feel so weak. I knew at that moment that I needed to find a studio that gave me the comfort I needed in such a vulnerable state. Because really, that’s how I felt, vulnerable.
I searched and searched for a place that would fit into my waitress wallet, along with the comfort, love and support that I felt I so needed in a yoga studio. I almost gave up, and then- the universe lead me to Power Edge Yoga Fitness. I found a groupon online and immediately knew I had to try it. I tried a class the following week and completely fell in love, and that is when my life started to change forever.

Not only are the people absolutely wonderful with the kindest of hearts, but the environment is so, welcoming. Everything I had ever wanted in a yoga studio was completely apparent when I entered that door. I started going three or four times a week and I just felt like I couldn’t get enough. The true beauty of finding a place like Power Edge, is I was able to fully surrender to my practice. I was able to leave my worries at the door and when I walked into that building all I thought about was myself, my self care and my practice. No to-do lists, no homework on my mind, no stressful thoughts of bills or grocery-store-lists, just me and my practice. A strong, empowered practice like that is what killed my inner self hate, its what helped me to realize how much I really matter and how much love and gratitude I had in my heart. The studio helped me to fall in love with myself again, and for that I am forever thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment